Friday, January 1, 2010

Putting the New in New Year's Eve

I had a conundrum.  “New” multiplied by a factor of at least three.

To spend NEW Year’s Eve in NEW York, as we’ve done for the past so many years and go out to dinner and dancing and spend the weekend at our apartment? 

Or spend NEW Year’s Eve in our NEW Jersey home?

(That’s three New's, right?)

I am so busy writing the books -- and the snow made me feel like staying put and working in the “igloo,” as I’ve come to refer to the windows on the world view with the winter wonderland on three sides and the peerless view of New York City skyline before me. 

So it was settled then.  The New Year would be welcomed in New Jersey – aka The Garden State.

Plus, I was hosting a “girls” luncheon for my mother, my older sister, Linda and her roommate from Vassar days, Janet on Wednesday.








The luncheon menu was to be festive and fun.  And of course, lots of dreamy holiday music – always complements the dining experience…

Appetizers of smoked trout mousse from the family party of the 18th (more later), Herring on pumpernickel mini bread squares, and crab pizza on a crust of Filo dough (brushing 20 layers with butter is a labor of love!); Bloody Mary’s. 
Entrée of broiled Salmon, jasmine rice and the broccoli au gratin my sister Linda made.
Dessert was espresso-sized hot chocolate with mini marshmallows in our beautiful jewel-like cups



And Panettone with glazed chestnuts cake.


And cookies and pecan goodies from our neighbor, Suzanne.

We enjoyed the apps down in the bar room; lunch in the dining room and espresso that followed the hot chocolate, in the living room in front of the fire. 

It was Janet’s first visit here and it was a perfectly clear day to enjoy the view J



We caught up and determined we will go to the opera together next week at Lincoln Center to enjoy Der Rosenkavalier J



Coming off of no less than five holiday parties that I hosted this year, not to mention the ones I was lucky enough to attend, I was so looking forward to the easy, delicious New Year’s Eve menu of fish: caviar, two kinds of oysters, littleneck clams, and lobsters….
And to be consumed in an easy, casual, when-we-want-to way…

Upon returning home from the Lusty Lobster and picking up my winning Murano glass bowl from Thomas Hauser Designs

I put the bag of seafood outside to keep it cold.  I thought I’d take a picture of our handsome lobsters before it got too dark


And after the flash, our big guy here just roared up!  He arched his claws and his tail fanned out and he gave me the hairy eyeball! Yikes!


I quick got him back in the bag but then worried the whole time I was waiting at the dock for my husband – thinking our lusty lobster might’ve gotten out of the bag and headed off on an escape trail – into the snow!  I thought I should’ve done the leash thing like we did in Boston years ago. Ha!   

But all was safe upon returning home. 

So we started off with the caviar and martinis. Then the oysters and littlenecks accompanied by the special stout my brother Jimmy, the fabulous musician who has several bands –jazz, rock (he opens for Marshall Tucker) www.tenfoottallband.com; www.jpopik.com, www.blackdiamondjazz.com;

And knows a thing or two about style, got us for Christmas.  It is brewed here in the Garden State, especially for oysters. And celebrates and pays homage to the area’s heritage of oyster riches!
Try it - You'll love it's rich velvety without being overpowering...





Then to the amazing lobsters with Roederer Estate Brut Rose champagne (haven’t had that in awhile and it was great)

And that sexy Murano glass came in handy for our shells… :)



And all kinds of Max Brenner’s wonderfully rich chocolates (www.maxbrenner.com)
From the Union Square locale near the apartment. It is like a Willy Wonka experience.   And I love taking out of town visitors here.

Wonderful evening.  We chose the best of the "New" this year.




Finally, lots of calls, texts and Facebook to family and friends to bring in the New Year – with love. 
Cheers, darlings!










No comments:

Post a Comment